Success… have you reached it yet? Yes, the journey to success is never over, as I’m sure you’ve already guessed. Although, success can become a more perceivable reality once you lay out the road-map on how you want to arrive at your success. Before diving into these 5 steps, I’d like you to look in the mirror and define what success means in your own eyes, because that is incredibly important. With that said, we all have different opinions, ideals, and different sets of eyes, and we all walk in different paths, too. Make sure you take the time to sit down and write out what success is in your view. Another thing I would like to point out is Merriam Webster’s definition of “success” which is as follows:
Simple Definition of success
- 1: the fact of getting or achieving wealth, respect, or fame
- 2: the correct or desired result of an attempt
- 3: someone or something that is successful : a person or thing that succeeds
Let’s Look at the Five Steps
- Step 1: Sit down and write down a goal. A goal is not a goal unless it’s written down, and if it’s not written down, it’s just “hope.”
- Step 2: Quit running. Don’t run from issues and/or problems; look at them in the mirror and face them head-on, but never run from them.
- Step 3: Think only on how you can be successful. Stop thinking of the reasons why you cannot be successful, because your mindset is very, very important. Stay positive, and don’t let the negativity invade your mind.
- Step 4: Your image of yourself is your everything. The way you look at yourself and the way you feel about yourself is another key part of becoming successful.
- Step 5: You must act the part of the successful person/insurance agent you have decided to become!
These are the simple essentials to becoming successful as an insurance agent alongside becoming successful at life. Look at step 1, about writing down a goal – if you have a goal of losing weight or getting into shape, you have to write it down. You must ask yourself how you plan to lose the weight and then put that strategy in motion. If we look at it in the insurance agent’s world, just think, if you want to write 15 new accounts in a week, you’d have to sit down and create a strategy on how to write 15 new accounts. The reason why I give these examples is to show that no matter what, if you’re looking at things in your life or in the business world that you want to improve, you must sit down and write out your plan or strategy before you can take action.
Step 2 talks about running from issues, and that can be detrimental to your development. In the real world, we will inevitably encounter issues and problems. However, the real question is, how are you going to handle those issues? It’s up to you to decide and take action, because no one else is going to do that for you.
Step 3 is all about your mindset and your attitude, the driving factors behind your personal and professional development. When you wake up in the morning, what’s your attitude/outlook for the day? I bet if you write down your outlook in the first 5 minutes that you wake up, you could go back at the end of the day after dinner, and it would most likely be the same as what you wrote down. You are the only person who determines the direction of your day, and it will directly reflect on your attitude.
Step 4 discusses how you perceive yourself. Your perception of yourself is displayed with how you dress, your persona, how motivated you are, and really the your whole aura. It’s not about being cocky or over confident, it’s about being ready and willing to take on the world today, all the while keeping a smile on your face.
The last step states that it’s simply all in your actions. The first four steps lead up to this final step to help you prepare, and this is where you have an opportunity to make a difference for yourself. I will tell you again and again that words are cheap and overrated, but your actions are not. Take action today to become your own definition of success, and be sure to never look back because that will only distract you from your bright future.
I hope these 5 steps help you become a more happier person along with becoming more successful, and as always agents and brokers, happy marketing!